Friday, January 8, 2010

Top Tummy Tuck Tips

Hello out there! I'm a wife and working mom of two (ages two and three). I blew out my abs with the first pregnancy and c-section, and the second pregnancy didn't help things much down there. I was left with a diastasis recti and umbilical hernia, such that I have never been able to hold my daughter, while standing, for more than two minutes. I've also been going to the same wonderful yoga teacher for the last seven years, and lately I've had to sit out all the abdominal moves and twists. My middle was just mush--I practically had to tuck my stomach into my jeans. Well, I decided to fix my tummy before my daughter gets too old to be carried.

It's been two-and-a-half weeks since my tummy tuck. I got so much great information from other bloggers about their abdominoplasties (my favorite was Erica's Abdominoplasty Blog), so I thought I'd step up and hopefully help someone else out there. Also, I have another five weeks of vacation in my empty house! I'm going to start with a few of my favorite tips, and cover more topics in more detail as the days roll by.

  • Get a recliner. Thank you Erica, for writing about your 'recliner nest'. We bought a used leather (reduces the ick factor) LazyBoy from Craig's List the day before the surgery. Thank God! In a recliner, you can sit up a bit more if you feel queasy, or lay down a bit more to sleep. You can't do that with a bed full of pillows and a husband trying to sleep next to you. I'm not a back-sleeper and I normally can't fall asleep in a recliner. But add some narcotics and sleeping pills and I slept soundly from one potty break to the next. Now that I'm off the pills, the recliner makes a nice napping place when I'm tired of scrunching my incision as I sleep on my side. By the way, I met a woman in the waiting room who had her surgery the day before I had mine. She said that she could barely sleep, and sure enough, she had no recliner.
  • Wear a tank top. My doc recommended that I wear a tank top under the abdominal binder. What a great tip (and I've never seen it online anywhere else). You won't be peeking under the binder for the first few days (for fear that your guts will fall out). Once you have your drains removed and start taking showers, the tank top will help you feel fresh and clean every time you change, and you won't have as much chafing.
  • Cinch the binder at an angle. I can't believe it took me two weeks to figure this out, but the binder is much more comfortable if you make it a little smaller on the top and larger on the bottom (cone-shaped). This way, it doesn't move around and bunch up as much.
  • Don't get the surgery over the summer if you can avoid it. I read this piece of advice, and like other people who teach, I thought it was silly to avoid summer. Now that I've had the surgery, I can see why. If you got itchy and sweaty under your binder (which you have to wear for two months), you would be a basket case. If you can crank up the AC and stay indoors, you might be okay.
  • Give yourself a break. I cried so much the first few weeks. And I'm no wuss--I've traveled around the world alone, earned a Ph.D. in chemistry, had a c-section and a vaginal birth...but this experience knocked me flat. I'm so used to being the one who makes this house run. It was hard to ask for everything, and to have my little one want me to run with her. Now it's hard to walk with a hunchback and get those pitying looks. It sucks, it's hard, but it's going to be okay in a very short time. It's my surgery and I'll cry if I want to! You should cry too, if it happens to you.
Those are my first few tips! Cheers!

16 comments:

  1. Make sure your doctor is a surgeon expert and is licensed before the surgery. It's always good to be cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a help your blog was to me. i have not yet had my TT, but am planning on it soon. Recliner seems to be the common denominator for sure...can i do without an electronic lift one?
    I plan on going back to work in two weeks, and have someone to care for me for 7 days.....i will need to drive kids to school on the 8th day...(single mom)....do you think i am being unrealistic on this time frames???
    Thanks! love, sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, good luck on your upcoming tuck! I found the manual recliner to be just fine.

    I was able to drive around the 8th day because I went off the pain meds the day before. Maybe you could line up a potential carpool, just in case?

    Some people can go back to work after a couple of weeks, others aren't ready. I think the more you sit at work, the easier it will be to return. Is there any way you could have a 'Plan B' in case you need an extra week at home?

    Whatever happens, don't look at needing more time to heal as a failure. Just let your body do its thing.

    Take care!,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mini tummy tuck typically has a smaller than the total tummy tuck incision, and the client recovery time is faster.

    Tummy tuck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy! Thanks for your blog! I'm having a TT in about 2 weeks and found your blog very helpful..... I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow and I'm very apprehensive. I know that this will be worth it! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck, Dino! It's been three years, and I'm still so glad I did it. I hope you recover quickly!
      Cheers,
      Amy

      Delete
  6. It also help to regain the confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tank top idea is great. I struggled with the chaffing really bad after I got my tummy tuck. I wish I had read this earlier. It would've saved me some pain. http://www.kcnyplasticsurgery.com/procedures/body/tummy-tuck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice about not getting a tummy tuck over the summer. I didn't even think about the issues of the bandages being too hot during the heat of the summer. Also, I have heard you shouldn't expose fresh scars to the sun. Having the procedure done during the winter sounds like a much better idea to me.
    http://www.theartofplasticsurgery.com/wps-body.htm

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wife has been telling me that she wants to get a tummy tuck. I don't know why she feels like she needs one. I think she's beautiful the way she is. She is going to do it anyway, and I guess I'll just have to support her in her decision. http://www.myplasticsurgerygroup.com/cosmetic-procedures/tummy-tuck/

    ReplyDelete
  10. A successful tummy tuck procedure can be done best by certified surgeons whose experience doing the procedure is crucial in achieving a good result. To know more about the surgeon, you can check out if he or she has a website and see if he also has a gallery of real results from previous patients. That way you can gauge how good that surgeon is. Best of luck with your tummy tuck procedure procedure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abdominoplasty is one of the more common cosmetic surgeries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is very nice, tips you have given are useful for those who are going to opt for tummy tuck

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, nice post. This is an interesting and very informative topic. Thanks for sharing.
    Abdominoplasty Germany

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the share. You are helping others to grow their knowledge by sharing such a valuable information. About Abdominoplasty

    ReplyDelete